Sunday 13 September 2009

Kidney Bean and Sweet Potato Spelt Chapati Burrito sorta things


I forgot to take a photo of this one as it looked so damn good when I was finished I ate it all up but I did had a left over chapati and a few bits that i wrapped up in the fridge so I took a photo of that so you can see my pretty chapatis. These turned out so well I was stoked as I am trying not to eat too much wheat and spelt is much better for you.

What is spelt you ask. It's a closely related species to wheat but has good minerals, vitamins and fiber. It was used a lot in the medieval times but getting popular again as people who are wheat intolerant can usually eat it. It does have gluten in it so you can bake it or make lovely chapatis.

The chapatis are so easy to make I was amazed the first time I made them. You will need though a good iron skillet (a must have really in the kitchen!) for a perfect chapati. I used about a cup and a half of spelt flour for 5 chapatis. I an not sure how much water I used. Maybe 3/4 cup. You want to make sure it's wet enough to kneed properly. If it crumbles a bit add just a touch of water and see how you get on. Add water VERY slowly as you work. You want to kneed it for like 8 minutes or so until it's a bit elastic. Wrap it in a wet kitchen towel and leave it to rest for 15 minutes.

What you need now for the insides!
-1 tin or heaping cup of cooked red kidney beans
-2 cloves of garlic
-1 peeled and chopped sweet potato or yam
mushrooms cooked lightly in oleolux or olive oil
-ground cumin
sea salt
grated cheese
lettuce
olives
home made salsa (see salsa post)

So basically you just boil up the sweet potato until it's soft and mash it up with a bit of oleolux or butter. Heat some oil in a pan on med and add the whole garlic cloves and cook them for a bit. Then add the drained kidney beans and some cumin and salt. Any cayenne as well if you want it a bit spicy. Throw a bit of water in the beans and cook them a bit and mash them up with a fork.

Get your iron skillet on med high heat and get it to full temp. Takes like 5 min or so. Grab a chunk of dough and roll into a ball. Roll out flat as you can with a rolling pin and some more spelt to keep it from sticking. Put it in the hot pan dry with no oils. Try not to burn it as it cooks quick. Flip and add a little oleolux. Put the cooked chapati on a plate and put another plate turned upside down on top to keep the moisture in and they will stay soft that way. Cook up the rest.

Now put spoonfuls of sweet potato and kidney beans in the chapati and add cheese, salsa, lettuce, red onions, olives ect. What ever takes your fancy. Or cabbage instead of lettuce which is awesome. Oh and the mushrooms as well. I love mushrooms. That's it. A really great take on the burrito but different and super healthy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try to make the chapatis! thanks Natalie. I'm going to send you an invite to the punkrecipeswap blog too, if you ever feel like posting something there. M x

    ReplyDelete