Monday 19 October 2009

Amazing Beet Soup


Emily my sister in law made me some beet soup with tomatoes and a chili in it the other day and it was one of the best soups I ever had! I decided to make my own. I have it say it was fantastic and I encourage all of you to give it a go! I found a farm shop who was selling beets for .10p a beet and they were huge. I got a load of them. Rad!

1.5 big beets chopped and cooked in water for about an hour until soft
4-5 decent sized tomatoes
1 hot chilli
1 lemon
a few sprigs of basil
sea salt

After cooking your chopped beet in a pan, drain it out and save the water. Chop your tomatoes in a few big chunks and throw it in raw with the beets. Chop your chili as well and throw that in too. Take a stick blender (or throw it all in a food processor) and blend until desired consistancy. Keep adding the saved water to it to make the blending easier and to get it thin enough to eat. Put it back on the heat and warm up. Add a squeese of lemon to taste and add sea salt. I had to add quite a bit to get the balance right. Then add torn basil leaves to serve. Tasty! We had it with a slice of Dee's homemade sourdough wholemeal bread which was so good!

1 comment: