Thursday 8 October 2009

Lentil Soup



My friend Maggie inspired me on this one as she said she had Turkish lentil soup for dinner. I thought I would see what that was and make up my own. Turned out great. Very hearty and filling. A nice chunk of homemade wholewheat bread is good with this or a salad. I made some hummous to go with it which turned out great so I am adding that recipe as well.

3.5 cups veg broth
1 cup red lentils
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 onion
1 carrot chopped into small pieces
4 tomatoes chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
handful of chopped parsley
1.5 cup water
1/2 cup buckwheat or bulgar wheat
1-2 tbsp tomato paste
lemon juice

Get your lentils on to boil in the veg broth. Skim off any scum. Let them simmer for 20 min or so. Get another pan with a lid on med heat and add some oil. Put the chopped onions and carrot in with the lid for 5-8 min, then add the chopped tomato, spices, salt and parsley. Cook for a little and then add the water, buckwheat and tomato paste. Now add this to the cooked lentils and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Take a hand stick blender and blend it up a little but make sure there are still some chunks left. Add lemon juice and more parsley if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment